Day #10 and I've learned some lessons...
Welcome to Day #10 and we're pretty much a third of the way in now! Yesterday I said I would try to dream up some lessons I've learned over the past ten days and, to be honest, I haven't had much time today to dwell on it. I suppose the most important thing I have learned is that it is possible to eat well on a vegan diet. Save for Sunday afternoon when I nosedived after my bike ride, I haven't gone hungry at all and the meals I have had have, for the most part, been good healthy balanced tasty meals. Previously, my own naivety lead me to believe that to follow a vegan diet was going to leave you both hungry, bored and probably rather malnourished but vegans did it anyway through some self-righteous holier than thou "meat is murder" attitude. Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen there are still people like that out there but you know what? There are people like that from every denomination out there. I suppose, when I really think about it, I was unconsciously one of them but from the other side of the coin - the meat eating side. For that, I apologise.
Now I can see quite clearly that following a plant-based diet is a choice, just like not following one, and nobody should be scorned for their dietary choice. I previously touched on this at the foodie fest on Day #5. I suppose the most important lesson for all of us is openness - don't attack people for what they eat. Unless it's children; then it's fair game. Don't eat children. That's not cool.
What other lessons have I learned? I suppose I have broadened my horizons when it comes to cooking and I'm trying new foods and thinking about new ways to cook. I'm still playing with how to vegery Kedgeree, which traditionally uses smoked fish and I often throw eggs in there too. I'm toying with cashew nuts, sweet potato falafels and soaked chia seeds but I've not made my mind up one way or another yet... other than calling it Vegeree. If anybody had any ideas, I'm all ears.
I've also learned the rather important lesson that soya milk does not work in coffee, and coconut milk works in neither tea nor coffee. I've narrowed it down to soya milk for tea and almond milk for coffee so far.
For today's foodie update, I had peanut butter on toast for breakfast which is pretty much the staple. Plenty of fruit, berries and nuts for snack and a butternut squash & tabboulah (whatever that is!) wrap for dinner. That was... odd really. It didn't really taste of much so whilst is wasn't not nice, it wasn't really nice either. It was just food. Win some lose some.
Tea was fantastic though. Nats cooked up Linda McCartney vegetable country pies, with potato ball things, fried courgettes and baked beans. The pie was incredible. Honestly, I couldn't have told the difference between this vegan friendly pie and a non-vegan friendly pie. To be honest, this meal is no different to what we'd have eaten normally.
Whilst I remember, there is one other rather important lesson I've learned today and that is, if you're vegan or follow a plant-based diet and you want a sandwich for dinner, you'll probably be disappointed if you go to Morrisons. I won't lie, I was quite shocked. I called in at Morrisons on the way home to pick up some cider. It's Wednesday, I'm allowed. Whilst there, I thought I'd grab some food for tomorrow's dinner to save me having to go out to get any. That was the plan anyway but, you know, best laid plans of mice and men. I even asked. I got batted around between the sandwich bar and customer services a little but eventually I got to speak to someone who actually knew what she was talking about. She was very apologetic and said she would pass it along to the management but, unfortunately, there was literally no sandwich suitable for vegan consumption. Oh there were vegetarian sandwiches, but no vegan ones. It did surprise me because Morrisons are usually very good and the sandwiches they do do are generally fantastic... provided you can actually eat them. As it happens, I left only with my cider. Don't worry, it's vegan friendly. I checked.
Now I can see quite clearly that following a plant-based diet is a choice, just like not following one, and nobody should be scorned for their dietary choice. I previously touched on this at the foodie fest on Day #5. I suppose the most important lesson for all of us is openness - don't attack people for what they eat. Unless it's children; then it's fair game. Don't eat children. That's not cool.
What other lessons have I learned? I suppose I have broadened my horizons when it comes to cooking and I'm trying new foods and thinking about new ways to cook. I'm still playing with how to vegery Kedgeree, which traditionally uses smoked fish and I often throw eggs in there too. I'm toying with cashew nuts, sweet potato falafels and soaked chia seeds but I've not made my mind up one way or another yet... other than calling it Vegeree. If anybody had any ideas, I'm all ears.
I've also learned the rather important lesson that soya milk does not work in coffee, and coconut milk works in neither tea nor coffee. I've narrowed it down to soya milk for tea and almond milk for coffee so far.
For today's foodie update, I had peanut butter on toast for breakfast which is pretty much the staple. Plenty of fruit, berries and nuts for snack and a butternut squash & tabboulah (whatever that is!) wrap for dinner. That was... odd really. It didn't really taste of much so whilst is wasn't not nice, it wasn't really nice either. It was just food. Win some lose some.Tea was fantastic though. Nats cooked up Linda McCartney vegetable country pies, with potato ball things, fried courgettes and baked beans. The pie was incredible. Honestly, I couldn't have told the difference between this vegan friendly pie and a non-vegan friendly pie. To be honest, this meal is no different to what we'd have eaten normally.
Whilst I remember, there is one other rather important lesson I've learned today and that is, if you're vegan or follow a plant-based diet and you want a sandwich for dinner, you'll probably be disappointed if you go to Morrisons. I won't lie, I was quite shocked. I called in at Morrisons on the way home to pick up some cider. It's Wednesday, I'm allowed. Whilst there, I thought I'd grab some food for tomorrow's dinner to save me having to go out to get any. That was the plan anyway but, you know, best laid plans of mice and men. I even asked. I got batted around between the sandwich bar and customer services a little but eventually I got to speak to someone who actually knew what she was talking about. She was very apologetic and said she would pass it along to the management but, unfortunately, there was literally no sandwich suitable for vegan consumption. Oh there were vegetarian sandwiches, but no vegan ones. It did surprise me because Morrisons are usually very good and the sandwiches they do do are generally fantastic... provided you can actually eat them. As it happens, I left only with my cider. Don't worry, it's vegan friendly. I checked.
Comments
Post a Comment