Day #11 and I made pizza...
Welcome to Day #11 and I'm starting to get a little more adventurous in the kitchen.
Nats made some courgette bread last night - to be honest, she baked a ridiculous amount last night but the courgette bread was the only think I took into work. It went down a storm. Really nice. I've been guilty of not actually eating the vegan food that comes into the office before because, well, it's vegan and what do I want to eat that for? I was suspicious of the substitutions and, quite frankly, I just didn't really trust it. Not so much the baking quality that my colleague can produce but rather the limited ingredients with which she could use. I may need to re-evaluate that because I was the one taking vegan baking in today and it was good.
I got a text from Nats saying she was going to yoga tonight so I was on tea making duty. What to make? What to make? I rooted in the freezer and found mexican spicy bean burgers and sweet potato fries. Then I put them back again because I just didn't want to eat bean burgers and sweet potato fries. I wanted something more organic. Something... fresher.
It was at that moment I noticed the pizza bases on the side. I opened the cupboard and there was puree there as well. Opened the fridge and there were tomatoes and spinach. There was also the vegan cream cheese which looks a little like polyfilla but doesn't taste half bad. I know what I can do here. I think. Well, it'll either work or it won't. So I laid it all out on the worktop and with an avocado I found as well... which Nats told me to put away again because it wouldn't work on pizza! I tried to explain that it would be a taste sensation but she reminded me of the last time I made a 'taste sensation' which consisted of ice cream, golden syrup and hundreds & thousands in a half easter egg floating on a sea of blackcurrant yogurt... which apparently didn't work. It was an adventure in a bowl!
I put the avocado away. Then I chopped the tomatoes, washed the spinach, spread the puree and dolloped the cream cheese in something which looks semi-professional or so I told myself anyway. The result; pizza! It actually doesn't look half bad either, although I am heavily biased on account of making it. All 100% vegan and all, hopefully, 100% tasty.
I put the pizzas in the oven at 220degs for about 15-16 minutes hoping that the cheese would spread out to be a little more evenly. It didn't. It needed some gentle coaxing in the form of a spoon but once it was all sorted, it actually tasted nice. I'm going to give myself 7 out of 10 for this one.
For the finished article, I'll pop a picture of the plated up pizza prior to eating, just for good measure, although this was prior to the cheese being spread a little more with a spoon. As you can see, it's still rather dollop-y.
Nats made some courgette bread last night - to be honest, she baked a ridiculous amount last night but the courgette bread was the only think I took into work. It went down a storm. Really nice. I've been guilty of not actually eating the vegan food that comes into the office before because, well, it's vegan and what do I want to eat that for? I was suspicious of the substitutions and, quite frankly, I just didn't really trust it. Not so much the baking quality that my colleague can produce but rather the limited ingredients with which she could use. I may need to re-evaluate that because I was the one taking vegan baking in today and it was good.
I got a text from Nats saying she was going to yoga tonight so I was on tea making duty. What to make? What to make? I rooted in the freezer and found mexican spicy bean burgers and sweet potato fries. Then I put them back again because I just didn't want to eat bean burgers and sweet potato fries. I wanted something more organic. Something... fresher.
It was at that moment I noticed the pizza bases on the side. I opened the cupboard and there was puree there as well. Opened the fridge and there were tomatoes and spinach. There was also the vegan cream cheese which looks a little like polyfilla but doesn't taste half bad. I know what I can do here. I think. Well, it'll either work or it won't. So I laid it all out on the worktop and with an avocado I found as well... which Nats told me to put away again because it wouldn't work on pizza! I tried to explain that it would be a taste sensation but she reminded me of the last time I made a 'taste sensation' which consisted of ice cream, golden syrup and hundreds & thousands in a half easter egg floating on a sea of blackcurrant yogurt... which apparently didn't work. It was an adventure in a bowl!
I put the avocado away. Then I chopped the tomatoes, washed the spinach, spread the puree and dolloped the cream cheese in something which looks semi-professional or so I told myself anyway. The result; pizza! It actually doesn't look half bad either, although I am heavily biased on account of making it. All 100% vegan and all, hopefully, 100% tasty.I put the pizzas in the oven at 220degs for about 15-16 minutes hoping that the cheese would spread out to be a little more evenly. It didn't. It needed some gentle coaxing in the form of a spoon but once it was all sorted, it actually tasted nice. I'm going to give myself 7 out of 10 for this one.

Comments
Post a Comment