Day #13 and apologies for not doing Day #12...

Welcome to Day #13 and, firstly, apologies for not doing a blog past for Day #12.  It would not have made interesting reading.  Dinner was a rushed affair due to spending the whole hour in the bank trying to sort bank stuff and tea was leftover pizza from the night before.  To be honest, that would have been yesterday's entire blog post.

That being said, whilst I was at home eating leftover pizza, drinking cider and binge-watching episodes of House, Nats went out for drinks with friends.  Apparently, trying to order a vegan option in the pub is like trying to convince a vegan that the dairy industry is quite humane.  I.e. you're flogging a dead horse.

Whoops, was the humane milk thing a little too soon?  It's something I'm going to get into over the next few days because I think it's a topic worthy of discussion.  I need to do more research myself before I start spouting off at the mouth because, presently, I'm just not informed enough and there's too many uninformed opinions flying around already without my adding to them.

Anyway, back to Nats' pub meal, which consisted almost entirely of lettuce leaves with a generous helping of olives.  Yes ladies and gentlemen, THAT was the vegan option.  Absolutely stellar performance on the diversity there.

Today has been a little more interesting.  We popped to the bike shop earlier today to pick Nats up a helmet as she's had a bike since her birthday but not been out on it yet.  Whilst there, we popped into Morrisons to pick up some more cream cheese.  They didn't have any unfortunately but they did have some other bits.

Firstly, there were these quinoa and kale puffs which were okay actually.  They were kind of like jumbo stale wotsits so, whilst not unpleasant, they certainly had a strange texture to them.  We polished the bag off though.  Just ignore the Thatchers Gold next to them, although it is vegan friendly so perhaps not.  I've been struggling to find Innis & Gunn anywhere and as ale is off the menu for the time being, I've resorted to cider to muffle the screaming in my head.  That's a joke!


Nats also picked up these gluten free, wheat free, egg free, milk free, taste free, fun free short bread biscuits in the hopes that it would satisfy her craving for actual shortbread.  Apparently, that's the one thing which may stop her adopting a more dairy free diet full time - a love of shortbread.  However, if these tasted the same, it might be a hurdle easily jumped.

They do not.  Not even close.  They weren't unpleasant but the taste reminded me more of malted milks than shortbread and the texture was just odd.  They were kind of chewy and almost gritty in their consistency which left an aftertaste I wasn't fully fond of.  I think the problem was, I was expecting shortbread, which these were not.  Like I say, not wholly unpleasant but not what we wanted by any stretch.  Swing and a miss for Nats on that one.

Tea was an exceptional affair though.  Nats cooked up burritos;  pinto and haricot beans in a tomato, chilli, coriander and lime sauce, mexican rice, and chopped avocado in a wholegrain wheat tortilla wrap layered with vegan cream cheese.  Wrap it all up and hey presto.  Quite frankly, one of the best things I've ever eaten.  Not just in this vegan diet but ever!  It was fantastic.


I may have cracked open one of those ciders this evening but it's purely research for tomorrow's blog.  Honest.

Comments