Day #14 and we're two weeks in...
Day #14 and we're two weeks in, which is good going really considering I demolished two & a half burgers and two & a half hotdogs for one of the meals the weekend before starting this thing. We were installing a new bath, I'd worked up an appetite.
I'm feeling good today actually. We had beans on toast for breakfast which set us both up for the day. We had a small bike ride just before dinner, so Nats could give her Buttercup (yes, she called it Buttercup - think The Princess Bride!) a proper test drive. For dinner, we had pea and mint soup with a hunk of bread, and tea has been baked sweet potatoes with salad. It's not been the most active day, due to weather, but it's done a good job at staving off hunger. We also amended the shopping order to give us enough to throw those burritos together again because, well, they were awesome!!!
I got a facebook tag today as well to a page called Bosh which had a video on how to make a Big Breakfast Lasagne. Now, the friend was asking if it was vegan-able but, to be honest, I think they already hit the nail on the head with it. The only thing I thought would need to be swapped out would be the sausages but it turned out that the sausages were vegetarian anyway so, grub's up!
The ingredients for the dish are;
3no. boxes of mushrooms
3no. boxes cherry tomatoes
3no. red onions
2no. packs of vegetarian sausages
1no. tin of baked beans
2no. bags of spinach
8no. potatoes
1no. bulb of garlic
2no. sprigs of rosemary
2no. sprigs of thyme
4no. sheets of Jus Roll puff pastry (may need swapping out for a vegan equivalent)
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Next comes the 21 step process to producing this gargantuan breakfast which, from the sounds of it, will happily feed 8 people... or just me and Nats.
1) Fry the mushrooms with 3no. crushed garlic cloves;
2) Roast the tomatoes until they're soft;
3) Chop the red onion & fry with 2 cloves of garlic in olive oil;
4) Bake the veggie sausages as directed on the packet & cut into halves (lengthways)
5) Wilt the spinach;
6) Chop the potatoes in to thin slices & fry in olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt & pepper until crispy;
7) Line a lasagne tin with parchment paper & drizzle the bottom with olive oil to prevent sticking;
8) Put a sheet of pastry in the bottom;
9) Empty in the beans & spread evenly;
10) Layer the potatoes;
11) Add another sheet of pastry;
12) Add the veggie sausages, laying them in rows;
13) Add the onion mix;
14) Add the mushrooms;
15) Add another sheet of pastry;
16) Add the spinach;
17) Add the chopped tomatoes;
18) Add another sheet of pastry;
19) Score the pastry;
20) Brush with rosemary infused olive oil;
21) Bake at 200deg for 30 minutes or until browned (the longer you cook it, the better but don't burn it!).
I've included a link to the facebook video here to help if you're interested, and remember, you don't have to be veggie or vegan to enjoy it! Just swap the veggie sausages out for some meat ones and you're cooking on gas! Enjoy.
Disclaimer: I've not actually made this meal myself yet, although I am going to! Credit goes to the Bosh facebook page for providing ingredients and instructions, and a helpful video. Why not give them a like. I know I will.
I'm feeling good today actually. We had beans on toast for breakfast which set us both up for the day. We had a small bike ride just before dinner, so Nats could give her Buttercup (yes, she called it Buttercup - think The Princess Bride!) a proper test drive. For dinner, we had pea and mint soup with a hunk of bread, and tea has been baked sweet potatoes with salad. It's not been the most active day, due to weather, but it's done a good job at staving off hunger. We also amended the shopping order to give us enough to throw those burritos together again because, well, they were awesome!!!
I got a facebook tag today as well to a page called Bosh which had a video on how to make a Big Breakfast Lasagne. Now, the friend was asking if it was vegan-able but, to be honest, I think they already hit the nail on the head with it. The only thing I thought would need to be swapped out would be the sausages but it turned out that the sausages were vegetarian anyway so, grub's up!
The ingredients for the dish are;
3no. boxes of mushrooms
3no. boxes cherry tomatoes
3no. red onions
2no. packs of vegetarian sausages
1no. tin of baked beans
2no. bags of spinach
8no. potatoes
1no. bulb of garlic
2no. sprigs of rosemary
2no. sprigs of thyme
4no. sheets of Jus Roll puff pastry (may need swapping out for a vegan equivalent)
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Next comes the 21 step process to producing this gargantuan breakfast which, from the sounds of it, will happily feed 8 people... or just me and Nats.
1) Fry the mushrooms with 3no. crushed garlic cloves;
2) Roast the tomatoes until they're soft;
3) Chop the red onion & fry with 2 cloves of garlic in olive oil;
4) Bake the veggie sausages as directed on the packet & cut into halves (lengthways)
5) Wilt the spinach;
6) Chop the potatoes in to thin slices & fry in olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt & pepper until crispy;
7) Line a lasagne tin with parchment paper & drizzle the bottom with olive oil to prevent sticking;
8) Put a sheet of pastry in the bottom;
9) Empty in the beans & spread evenly;
10) Layer the potatoes;
11) Add another sheet of pastry;
12) Add the veggie sausages, laying them in rows;
13) Add the onion mix;
14) Add the mushrooms;
15) Add another sheet of pastry;
16) Add the spinach;
17) Add the chopped tomatoes;
18) Add another sheet of pastry;
19) Score the pastry;
20) Brush with rosemary infused olive oil;
21) Bake at 200deg for 30 minutes or until browned (the longer you cook it, the better but don't burn it!).
I've included a link to the facebook video here to help if you're interested, and remember, you don't have to be veggie or vegan to enjoy it! Just swap the veggie sausages out for some meat ones and you're cooking on gas! Enjoy.
Disclaimer: I've not actually made this meal myself yet, although I am going to! Credit goes to the Bosh facebook page for providing ingredients and instructions, and a helpful video. Why not give them a like. I know I will.
Comments
Post a Comment