Day #6 and we're partying in the pasture...

Welcome to Day #6 and the first Saturday I've been doing this.  Now, I know what you're thinking, what does the day of the week have to do with anything?  Basically, this is the first day I've not been in work so I've had nothing to distract me from the fact I'm cutting out a huge food group.  It would be easier to give in to temptation... but I haven't.

It's also the first day I got a lie in.  Nats was first up and, whilst I wasn't in a hurry to get up, she went ahead and made breakfast for us;  porridge with chia seeds and jam.  It was okay actually - not the worst porridge I've ever had, although apparently you're not supposed to say that when your wife has fetched you breakfast in bed.

Oh no, the worst porridge I've ever had was when I was walking in Knoydart with a friend.  Carrying milk was extra weight in already really heavy packs so we forwent it, instead choosing to mix the oats with stove heated river water, with a little bit of cinnamon in an attempt to improve the flavour.  I'll be honest, it was awful.  It turned into a kind of gelatinous gloop which you had to really chew your way through... but it was energy so we tolerated it.  And, you know, it was vegan friendly.

The coffee was also a colossal failure but, you know, lessons learned.  Nats tried soya milk in the coffee for the first time - we've previously been using almond milk - and it just separated.  It looked unappetising and tasted little better.  Note to self, soya milk might work well in tea but coffee is a different story entirely.

The weather has been pretty biblical for the first half of the day so, whilst my initial idea was to go for a bike ride, I quickly re-evaluated.  I'm curious to see how this new diet affects my energy levels.  It's been a pretty quiet year anyway, due to illness at the start of the year, so I'm not at my fittest regardless but, I'm still curious to see the affect.  I'm certainly feeling better in myself and thinner/ less bloated, etc.  If it's nice tomorrow, I'll try and either get out on the bike or for a run.

Dinner was a pretty healthy looking affair as well.  Nothing terribly exciting but still, it was surprisingly nice for a basic meal.  We had tomato and basil pasta with lettuce and peppers, and some houmous in pitta on the side.  

Saturday dinner times, if I even remembered to eat something in the first place, would usually be something quick and easy which doesn't necessarily mean healthy.  If I'd gone into town, it might have even been a trip to McDonalds or KFC.  This is a little healthier and, probably more satisfying.  I felt much better after it.  Again, not over full or bloated.  Just, satisfied.

Nats then had the fantastic idea of making milkshake.  This involved soya milk, alpro chocolate ice cream, some crushed oreos and some vegan chocolate squizz on the top.  All one hundred per cent vegan and all one hundred per cent awesome.  Surprisingly creamy considering it had no diary at all.

This evening we went to an event called Party in the Pasture, which is an annual event that happens in a village just down the road.  It's basically a party... in a pasture.  The clue really is in the name.  Now, ordinarily this is catered with pie and peas - either meat and potato or cheese and onion for the vegetarians.  Obviously, the meat and potato is out and so too is the cheese and onion.  Fortunately, the local farmer who organises it is my uncle and had heard of this experiment we're doing, so asked if we'd like a vegan option, joking that he had a field full of grass.

The caterers went above and beyond in my book.  I was a little nervous, I won't lie.  I had no idea what to expect.  I half expected some kind of butty with some salad in it, which would pass as the 'vegan' option.  What we got was something else entirely and we really appreciated the effort that went into it.  It was really nice.

What we have here is an aubergine tagine with peppers & chickpeas, with boiled potatoes on the side and some beetroot and red cabbage thrown over the top (personal preference - not standard).  They kept it separate as well so, whilst they had trays upon trays of slabs of pie which were spooned into polystyrene trays, ours were already prepared and the caterers went out of their way to accommodate.

Disclaimer:  I haven't explored the vegan friendliness of polystyrene other than knowing it's not the best most ecological stuff ever, so apologies for eating a vegan meal out of a polystyrene tray.  

I do, however, want to thank both my uncle and the caterers for accommodating this particular dietary requirement.  It could have just as easily been ignored.

An interesting aspect of this evening was actually talking to people about what we're doing.  People seemed more curious than anything and whilst I explained that I'm still not totally sold on the vegan lifestyle as a whole, due to its obvious restrictions, I do think there is merit in a more plant based diet.  That said, we're only six days in so let's see what the rest of the month holds.

Comments