Day #16 and that look of 'Oh God' as you walk into the kitchen and see the bog water smoothies...

Welcome to Day #16 and this #veganforamonth thing has really garnered some interest.  The blog is getting quite a bit of traffic; yesterday's blog post received well over a hundred views and I presume it was read as well, and people are really quite interested.

I've been off work today as we were driving out to the coast for my grandad's birthday.  It was a big one so, whilst it was a trip, it was worth it.  He's been a great grandad (note - not a great-grandad) through my entire life.

The day started slowly and the intention was to go out for a bike ride, although that fell by the way side when it was raining with the same intensity that prompted Noah to build his ark.  I'm a fair weather cyclist so, you know, a lie in it was.  Breakfast, unfortunately, consisted on this bog water smoothie of unknown and indiscernible concoction.

Nats has made these things before.  On more than one occasion.  The first was foisted on me after I'd been out on a 14.5 mile recce run of a 24-mile route I was planning on running with a friend last June and, I've got to say, they're as unpleasant now as they were then.  The friend in question has also been ambushed with these things and calls them 'puke smoothies'.  This one actually doesn't look too bad.  The one he had to choke down was black and lumpy.  Again, to this day, we have no idea what Nats puts in them.  Don't worry though, I stole a pain au chocolate straight afterwards.  Then another - they're only small.

Dinner was vegetable soup and then we left for the coast around late afternoon after a fairly quiet day, calling in at one of the seaside villages for a chippy tea on route.  Only chips and peas mind, but sitting on the sea front eating chips and mushy peas is a good tea by my estimation.  The actual birthday party was having a BBQ - something we just couldn't partake in unfortunately.  Like I said, the sausages which we bought to take with us aren't exactly guilt free experience and, if you ask me, are supporting an industry which is far more destructive than killing carefully-bred livestock in this country.  I don't know, maybe it's an 'out of sight, out of mind' kind of mentality with this sort of thing or maybe, because it's not completely on the nose with it, that it's just not realised how destructive it actually it.  It's a topic of tremendous depth which is a very long way from black and white and one I will need to look into.

The question is, are vegetarian sausages more or less vegan friendly than actual meat sausages?  In fact, let's open the floor up!  Are vegetarian foods which contain palm oil more or less vegan friendly than their meaty counterparts?  Feel free to send me information if you like.  I am going to try to cover it but it'll need a designated blog post I think.

Fortunately for us, my uncle came to the rescue at the BBQ with his vegan option.  We were allowed to bring it home with us, which was very kind.  I'm assured no Orangutans died or lost their homes in its production.



The interesting thing about this evening was, we had to go through the whole 'being vegan for a month' thing with quite a few people and they were really interested.  In fact, they were very receptive to it with positive comments.  They were also asking if we will carry it on after the month is over (August 17th) and, to be honest, I'm not sure if we'll be strict yet purely because of how restrictive it is but I did explain that I think there is a certain merit in having a more plant based lifestyle.  Who knows, there's still over two weeks to go and anything could happen. 

Comments