Day #28 and it's finally over...

Welcome to Day #28 and all I can say is it's finally over.  As of sunset this evening, which is at 20:27, the gloves are off.  We have a Dominos pizza on order with ALL the chicken.  Cannae wait.

So, let's summarise shall we.  What have we learned through all this?  Here's 28 things learned in 28 days as a vegan:

  • The PETA statistic claims that being vegan saves 198 animals per vegan per year.  With that in mind, Nats and I have saved 30.5 animals... although I imagine the 0.5 animal isn't really saved;
  • A vegan diet doesn't necessarily mean a healthy diet;
  • A vegan diet doesn't necessarily mean an ethical diet;
  • There is Palm Oil in EVERYTHING!  It's the culinary equivalent of Asbestos;
  • We are far more conscious of what's in our food now from having to read the backs of EVERYTHING;
  • You have to think about your food intake and which good stuff (and not so good stuff) you're getting from where ALL THE TIME;
  • I can't help but feel that the only way to really go properly vegan is to go fully raw, given things like Palm Oil and the manufacturing process;
  • There is a great deal of 'accidentally' vegan junk food and beer out there.;
  • Shop bought lunch time choices are very limited;
  • Eating out choices, especially on a whim, are incredibly limited;
  • Soya milk just doesn't work in coffee and I don't believe anybody who says otherwise;
  • Hazlenut milk is, however, delicious;
  • Vegan cheese is just wrong.  It's sticky and vacuum forms to the back of your teeth;
  • I've lost weight;
  • Dairy withdrawal is just plain nasty... and kinda noisy, if you get my drift (and boy, what a drift!!!);
  • The only way to keep energy levels up is to eat snacks and bigger meals;
  • You will be judged by people who cannot grasp the concept;
  • Avocado and Houmous are staples in this diet.  If you don't like them... learn to!
  • Writing a blog about your endeavour may (and probably will) get you into trouble at some point;
  • There are actually some surprisingly good meals out there, like burritos;
  • I hate Medjoul Dates;
  • Celebrations are hard!  We had to pass up cake TWICE;
  • Vegetarian sausages made me bork by the end;
  • It's far cheaper to be vegan than an omnivore;
  • We're still using Cochineal in things as a red dye!  This has been used since Tudor times!  Surely there's an alternative to ground up bugs?;
  • A lot of ales aren't vegan friendly.  Why is Isinglass used in the filtration process?;
  • Pizza with no cheese is just pointless;
  • Vegan shortbread should not be a thing!  Anybody who disagrees is wrong;
  • We're thinking of taking a far more pescatarian based diet but, ultimately, everything in moderation... including the pizza which just arrived!
I hope you've enjoyed reading about my journey and stay tuned for the next silly idea I have.

Comments